June 19, 2011. The Philippines commemorated the 150th birthday of Dr. Jose P. Rizal. President Benigno Aquino III, in a speech, called on fellow Filipinos to “be like Rizal.”
Aquino attended the unveiling of a 22-foot brass statue of Rizal in the national hero’s birthplace, Calamba, Laguna.
Also on the Covers:
- Typhoon Egay started to batter north Luzon
- Spratlys news:
– Bulletin: the Philippines joined five other Southeast Asian nations in sea exercises with the US Navy
– Inquirer: Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile cautioned the Aquino administration against agitating China in the explosive Spratly Islands dispute
– Star: Pres. Aquino is willing to upgrade military equipment to the tune of P40 billion to protect our country’s claims on the Spratlys
- Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago renewed her vows with husband Narciso Santiago Jr.; the ceremony was attended by top political, business, and media personalities
Front Pages 2011 is Pinoy Index’s way of looking back at notable events of 2011, as presented on the front page of the three leading broadsheet newspapers in the country: the Manila Bulletin, the Philippine Daily Inquirer, and the Philippine Star.