July 25, 2011. President Benigno Aquino III addressed the Congress and the Philippines in his second State of the Nation Address (SONA).
- Pres. Aquino exposed alleged “overpricing” of coffee sold in casinos managed by the Philippine Gaming and Amusement Corporation (PAGCOR); Aquino said the expenses for coffee by its previous administration reached P1 billion
- P-Noy credited the Filipinos for changing the culture of “wang-wang,” a term he also used in his inauguration speech
- A new Ombudsman was appointed, in the name of former Supreme Court Chief Justice Conchita Carpio-Morales [Bulletin | Inquirer | Star]
- The Arroyos (Reps. former President Gloria, and sons Mikee and Dato) skipped the SONA; meanwhile, Rep. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo was rushed to the hospital
- Inquirer: Promises, promises: Hits and misses | Militants: We’ve heard that last year
- Star: Cheers: SONA set directions on governance | Jeers: Empty, play-safe speech